How does a Search Engine work in Genealogy?
HOW DOES A SEARCH ENGINE WORK IN GENEALOGY?
A search engine gives you fields within data that you can search for. It will ask you the:
Date of Birth,
Place of Birth,
Date of Death,
Place of Death
So if you give it the last name of Smith, YOB 1953, Arizona, it will return results of all people with the last name of Smith, born in 1953 in Arizona. more to come!
- Look at your Pedigree Sheet. You can right click on this and print it out.
- Add every fact that you know for a fact - do it in pencil -
- When you corroborate data, you find out that your family did not always have the facts.
- When you are searching always try using the "sounds like" or "soundex" option in case someone documenting their existence did not ask the correct spelling and just spelled phonetically.
- Now lets go to the first blank field.
- Enter what you know.
- Let's say you know your parents were married in Califorrnia.
- California has listed all the marriages for the entire state in Ancestry.com up to the 80s at this time.
- See if they are listed in the Marriage, Birth, Death section.
- Create a family tree with your Ancestry Account
- then one by one, when you see a leaf, review the information and see if it makes sense.
- Sometimes you need to double check the oldest child's birthdate to see if the marriage could have taken place prior to that child being born.
|A male and female person, at least 18 years of age, not nearer of kin than second cousin or cousins of the half blood, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. Proof of age is required. Both parties must appear in person at the Marriage License Bureau, Washoe County Administrative Complex, 1001 E. Ninth St, Building A, Reno, NV 89512.|
|BLOOD TESTS / WAITING PERIODS:|
|Blood tests are not required, and there is no waiting period.|
|HOURS AND FEES:|
|Monday through Sunday 8:00 AM to 12:00 Midnight.|
Fee: $60.00 (cash, credit cards, money orders or travelers checks)
- In generations past, you had to wait 3 days between the marriage license ascertainment, and the marriage. This allowed for the couple to get the proper blood tests. It made the obvious search for the record in either of three places for California if it was not found in CA - You would have probably found it in Nevada or Mexico.
Here is a website that gives the current waiting period status and qualifications for several states: